Book now. It's free!

Why am I having sharp pains in my head?

They are not so much headaches as brief sharp pains and are mainly in the sides of my head and sometimes in the back too. What causes sharp pains in your head?
There are many potential causes of twinges of pain along the sides of your head and the back of your neck. However, the most likely cause is simple muscle tension and fatigue, which tends to affect people who are seated in one position for a long time or otherwise intensely focused on a task at hand, such as sitting at a computer screen. It can also be made worse by stress and fatigue. If the pains continue, you should go see your primary care doctor for a complete evaluation. They can determine if these pains are in fact from muscle tension. If so, they can make recommendations about which medications you might take for pain and they can also help you think about lifestyle changes, such as stress reduction and working on your posture. On the other hand, if there are any other concerning findings on the physical examination that suggest a different type of medical problem, such as dizziness, problems with coordination, visual changes, and the like, they can make recommendations about whether or not you need additional testing to work up the cause of your pains. Make an appointment with your primary care doctor at your earliest convenience!

• Dr. Joseph Sack
    Dr. Joseph Sack MD
    7570 W 21st St N