Why would my stomach hurt in the morning?

Stomach always hurts in the morning when I wake up and sometimes the pain wakes me up early. After I eat and I'm moving around it goes away. I'm 23 years old and male. This is a new thing that has started over the last month.
I would recommend that you go to see your primary care doctor about this issue! Any persistent abdominal pain should be evaluated by a doctor to make sure that there is no underlying medical problem that needs treatment. You doctor will consider several possible causes of your symptoms. For example, a condition called gastritis is an inflammation of the lining of the stomach. It is often caused by medications, like ibuprofen or naproxen. It can also be associated with alcohol or tobacco use, and sometimes with an infection of the stomach by a bacteria known as Helicobacter pylori. Another potential causes would be a stomach ulcer, or erosion in the lining of the stomach. Both of these conditions can cause the type of symptoms you are describing, including pain early in the morning that is improved with eating a meal. In addition to a physical examination, your doctor may decide to perform some basic blood tests or stool tests. Based on what they find, they can recommend treatment options, which might include medications to decrease the amount of acid that the stomach produces. Start by making an appointment with your primary care doctor today! I hope you are feeling better soon.

Other Gastroenterologists

• Dr. Jeff Bullock
    Dr. Jeff Bullock MD
    Gastroenterologist
    150 E. Sonterra Blvd.
    San Antonio, TX 78258
  • Dr. Kevin Franklin
    Dr. Kevin Franklin MD
    Gastroenterologist
    215 E. Quincy St.
    San Antonio, TX 78215
  • Dr. Richard Otero
    Dr. Richard Otero MD
    Gastroenterologist
    520 E. Euclid Ave
    San Antonio, TX 78212