ZocdocAnswersWhy have I been nauseous for a month?

Question

Why have I been nauseous for a month?

It is like a month gone by where I am nauseous all of the time. Sometimes it goes away after I eat but it is pretty much constant. Why would I be nauseous all of the time?

Answer

I strongly recommend that you go to see your primary care doctor about this issue. Persistent nausea needs to be evaluated to make sure that it is not a significant medical problem that might need evaluation or treatment. The causes of persistent nausea are numerous, and your doctor will help you consider these possibilities. For example, gastritis or a stomach ulcer are two conditions which can cause irritation and inflammation of the lining of the stomach. Both of these condition can lead to persistent nausea, which often does fluctuate with eating meals. In women, pregnancy is a common cause of persistent nausea which always needs to be considered (I mention this because your question does not make your gender clear). Other conditions that can cause nausea include constipation, stress or fatigue, irritable bowel syndrome, and various food intolerance syndromes such as celiac disease and lactose intolerance. Your doctor will start with a full physical examination. Based on what they discover, they may also want to perform some simple laboratory tests, such as blood, urine, or stool examinations. All of this data together will help figure out what next steps you should take. I hope you are feeling better very soon!