Why is my appetite increasing in the cold weather?

My appetite is increasing where I'm hungry way more than I usually am. The only thing that has really changed is the weather. It is colder outside. Could that be why my appetite is increasing? Because I'm indoors more? Make any kind of sense?
It turns out that you are exactly correct! Many people do experience an increase in their appetite, and especially their appetite for rich, calorically dense foods, when the weather is cold. The reason for this is not completely understand. It is likely to be both physiological and psychological. Physiologically, the drop in temperature may trigger appetite centers deep in our brains. Psychologically, short days and increased darkness may increase cravings. It is important to be aware of these phenomena because, if left unchecked, they can lead to pretty significant weight gain, especially because of the combination of increased food intake together with decreased exercise (from being inside more). This is an issue that you can always talk with your primary care doctor. First of all, they can give you some advice on ways to moderate your caloric intake and increase your exercise, even during the winter months. Also, they can perform a thorough medical checkup just to make sure that your increased appetite is not due to an underlying medical cause, such as diabetes. Make an appointment with your doctor at your earliest convenience, and good luck!

• Dr. Angela Hon
    Dr. Angela Hon MD
    88-20 Rockaway Beach Blvd
    Rockaway Beach, NY 11693
  • Dr. James Morgan
    Dr. James Morgan MD
    330 Northgate Drive
    Manteca, CA 95336
  • Dr. Martin Molina
    Dr. Martin Molina MD
    13919 Nacogdoches Rd
    San Antonio, TX 78217