ZocdocAnswersWhy am I getting a rash on my chest?

Question

Why am I getting a rash on my chest?

I'm 22 years old and female and have started to get a rash on my chest. It is above my left breast and will just pop up. It is n't really itchy but it is just some red bumps. don't worry or something bad? Need a doctor?

Answer

If the rash is persistent and not getting better, then it would be worthwhile seeing a doctor, just so that they can take a good look and help you figure out what is going on. This is unlikely to be a serious medical problem, but it is worth the peace of mind to get it checked out. You could see either your primary care doctor or a dermatologist for this advice. One possibility is that this rash represent some acne on the chest, which is relatively common and can crop up from time to time. Alternatively, ingrown hairs, which involve clogging of hair follicles when a hair curls down and grows back in on itself, can sometimes be confused with acne. On the other hand, the rash might be contact dermatitis, which is a condition in which the skin becomes inflamed from coming in contact with some irritating chemical or other environmental exposure. Eczema is another potential cause, which occurs when the skin becomes excessively dry, reddened, and itchy. As you can see, the list of potential causes is long, which is why have your doctor take a look to narrow things down a bit could be helpful. They can also help you decide whether you should be treating the rash or not with any medication.