ZocdocAnswersDoes Dengue fever cause hair loss?

Question

Does Dengue fever cause hair loss?

I got Dengue fever on vacation. It has been a little while since I had it but now my hair seems like it is falling out fast on my head. Is it from the dengue? What should I do? Totally nervous I am going to loose all my hair.

Answer

I am sorry to hear that you contracted Dengue fever, but I am happy to hear that you did recover and that you are now safe! In and of itself, Dengue fever should not directly affect the hair follicles or cause hair loss. However, it could cause hair loss indirectly. There is a condition called telogen effluvium, which is characterized by a general acute loss of hair. Telogen effluvium usually occurs after a bad shock to the body and, in this setting, represent temporary interruption of the normal growth cycle of the hair follicles. Dengue fever, especially a severe case, could be the 'severe shock to the system' that is necessary to cause telogen effluvium. I would recommend that you go see your primary care doctor or a dermatologist about this issue right away. They can examine your scalp and hair loss pattern and help determine what is going on. If this turns out to be telogen effluvia, it fortunately tends to get better on its own and not require intensive medical treatment. On the other hand, if your doctor discovers another potential cause for your hair loss then they may want to do additional testing or prescribe medications to help.