ZocdocAnswersHow do you stop snoring?

Question

How do you stop snoring?

My snoring is getting so bad that it wakes me up at night. How do you cure it? I guess maybe I would need some surgery but I heard from a friend that surgery on your nose is very painful. Any other way to stop my snoring?

Answer

Snoring is a difficult thing to manage with surgery, and it is important to realize that snoring can be a sign of other medical problems in many cases. First, snoring is usually caused by relaxation of the soft tissue of the head and neck. As this tissue falls into the airway when you relax, the passage of air over the tissue causes it to vibrate and create sound: snoring. You might recognize the description of redundant soft tissue in the airway from another common medical problem which you might have heard of: sleep apnea. While not everyone who snores has sleep apnea, snoring can be a sign of sleep apnea. The fact that your snoring wakes you up makes that seem even more plausible, as it indicates that your sleep is likely not very restful or restorative. Sleep apnea is similar to snoring in cause, with the difference being that the extra soft tissue is so invasive into the airway that it blocks the air from going into your lungs, and you have to wake up slightly to get a full breath. While surgery for both sleep apnea and snoring is available, the gold standard currently is a CPAP machine, which helps with both. Please speak to your ENT surgeon about your problems.