Does PCOS cause weight gain?

Been diagnosed with PCOS and noticed that I've had some sudden weight gain. Could that be due to the PCOS or should I talk to my doctor about it being another issue?
PCOS (which stands for polycystic ovarian syndrome). This is a complex endocrine disease that requires special attention from your doctors and possibly attention from a specialist. The disease is named for what is found in the ovaries (small cysts), but these play little role in the condition's manifestations. It turns out that PCOS is very directly related to weight gain. Hormones that are secreted in increased amounts because of PCOS make it hard to keep the weight off. The trouble is that weight gain also causes the other symptoms and associated conditions to get worse. The other problems that you may be dealing with include irregular periods and diabetes. Both of these conditions are seen in high prevalence in patients with PCOS. Weight gain will make your periods more irregular and your diabetes more difficult to control. Conversely, weight loss can improve these problems. In addition to weight loss, the medication metformin can also be useful in making your periods more regular and your diabetes in better control (if you have these problems at all). I think you should consult with a specialist for your disease. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with an endocrinologist. This is a doctor who can deal with the many different issues that PCOS can cause.

Nearby Endocrinologists

Other Endocrinologists