ZocdocAnswersIs it normal for sex to cause pain?

Question

Is it normal for sex to cause pain?

I am a 19 year old female and just started to have sex on a regular basis with a new boyfriend. Problem is sometimes I get pain when we have sex and I have soreness the day after too. Is that pretty normal or could something be wrong with me?

Answer

It is always normal for a women to have pain with sex the first few times. If it has been more than a month since your first time and you have had sex multiple times, then it is possible that this is no longer normal. The most common cause of pain with sex is inadequate lubrication. This is no particular problem with you or your partner, there just may not be enough natural lubricant available. The solution to this problem is for you to buy one of the over the counter lubricants and it apply it to your genitals or your partners penis prior to sex. If this doesn't help, then other causes of painful sex should be should be looked into. One cause known as vaginismus. This is an involuntary contraction of the muscles of the vagina which occurs when anything is inserted. This causes severe pain as the contracted muscles are stretched. Vulvodynia is a pain syndrome in which any touching in the genital region is painful. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OBGYN or primary care physician, whoever you see for your feminine health. The two of you can discuss your problem and come up with a reasonable explanation for why you are having pain.