ZocdocAnswersWhy do I have bruising near my spine?

Question

Why do I have bruising near my spine?

There is bruising along my spine. I don't have an explanation for it. I don't know how long it has been there because I don't really look at my back very often. But my mom noticed it. What could it be?

Answer

A small amount of bruising under the skin is common from time to time in most people, including in the area around the spine. Most often, running into a hard object or some similar accident is the cause of the bruising and, typically, we don't even remember the episode after the fact, which can lead to the discover of 'surprise' bruises. Although it is unlikely that this bruising represents a serious medical problem, it would be recommended that you have it checked out by your primary care doctor, especially if the bruising is extensive. I say this because new onset extensive bruising when you did not previously have a history of that can sometimes be a sign of an underlying medical problem. For example, trouble with low platelets in the blood stream or with disorders of the blood clotting system can lead to new bruising under the skin. Also, there are several medications that can lead to easy bruising, including aspirin. Your doctor can examine the affected area and the rest of your body as well. If they find evidence concerning for easy or extensive bruising, they will probably want to obtain some basic blood tests to help evaluate the problem more. Please see your doctor soon.