What do heavy periods indicate?

Why do my periods seem a lot heavier all of the sudden? I'm 25 years old and the last two have just been a lot heavier than any I can remember. Are heavy periods the sign of a serious problem?
Heavy periods can have many different causes. If you have just had two heavier periods in a row, I would probably want to wait and see if they continue, as a couple in a row is no big deal. If you end up having heavy periods every month, then you will need a workup to see why they are occurring. One cause is a blood clotting disorder. Women who have a blood clotting disorder sometimes don't clot bleeding blood as well which causes more bleeding than normal to occur during your period. Some uterine abnormalities such as uterine fibroids can cause heavy bleeding. Uterine fibroids are benign growths or tumors of the uterine muscle tissue. They can cause pelvic pain and occasionally heavy bleeding. A similar condition called adenomyosis is an overgrowth of the uterine muscular tissue into the inner lining. This too can cause heavy bleeding. Finally, different hormonal problems can change the way your menses behave. The best physician for you to see about this problem is your OBGYN. He or she can perform a thorough pelvic exam, get the necessary blood tests (to look for blood clotting disorders), and perhaps get a pelvic ultrasound. These tests together should allow for a diagnosis if you do in fact have something wrong.

Nearby OB-GYNs