ZocdocAnswersIs there such thing as a healthy body temperature or is everybody different?

Question

Is there such thing as a healthy body temperature or is everybody different?

What is a healthy body temperature? I know that there is a normal body temp but are some peoples a little higher or lower. I ask because I feel cold all of the time and thought maybe I just have a lower normal body temperature.

Answer

A healthy body temperature on average is 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit or 37 degrees Celsius. People can vary from this an we generally think that anyone with a body temperature between 97 and 99 is fairly normal. The measuring devices that we have today can be inaccurate and sometimes underestimate the temperature. For this reason we don't usually get too excited about temperatures measured between 96 and 97 because they are often normal. Interestingly, your feeling of being cold may have nothing to do with your actual body temperature. People can have normal body temperatures and feel cold all the time. This can have several causes including issues with circulation, hormonal problems, or sometimes metabolism. Problems with your thyroid gland can also cause you to feel cold all the time. In extreme instances of having a very inactive thyroid gland, your body temperature can even drop down below the normal range. If you are worried about your sensation of being cold all the time, or if you are worried about some low body temperature readings at home, you should definitely schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. You will have your temperature taken in the office to make sure that your temperature is not too low. Finally, your doctor may decide to check your thyroid gland function. Good luck.