ZocdocAnswersWhy does my throat feel so itchy?

Question

Why does my throat feel so itchy?

I'm not sick or anything, but my throat is very itchy and making me cough sometimes. What do I do? If I'm not sick I don't understand why my throat feels this way. Could it be something that has nothing to do with being sick?

Answer

If these symptoms are persistent, I would recommend that you go to see your primary care doctor about the issue. Sometimes a persistent cough or itchy throat can have an underlying medical cause which needs treatment. Your doctor can give you a thorough looking over and help figure out if something needs to be done. For example, one very common cause of these symptoms is persistent nasal allergies, which cause inflammation and congestion of the nasal passages. The dripping of mucus down the back of the throat causes the scratchiness in the back of the throat and the occasional cough. Similarly, congestion or infection of the sinuses can also produce excess dripping of mucus down the throat and similar symptoms. Another unrelated condition which can produce irritation in the throat is chronic acid reflux from the stomach. If your doctor diagnoses you with one of these conditions, they should be able to help you figure out which medications can help relieve the symptoms. For example, if you have sinus or nasal allergy problems, an anti histamine medication or a nasal steroid spray should help quite a bit. On the other hand, if you have symptoms of acid reflux, an anti acid medication should help! See your doctor as soon as possible!