What causes plantar warts?

I went to the doctor for some warts on my feet and they said that they were plantar warts. They didn't say how I would get them though. What causes plantar warts?
Sorry to hear you are dealing with plantar warts! These are actually one of the most common skin conditions that primary care doctors seen on a regular basis. The warts are caused by an infection of the skin with a virus known as the human papilloma virus. Infection of skin cells by the virus causes the skin cells to proliferate and pile up, leading to the typically warty projection out of the skin. Although plantar warts are totally benign, they are often quite uncomfortable because, as they grow they can exert a lot of pressure on the bottom of the feet, especially when standing or when wearing tight shoes. Most of the time, your primary care doctor should be able to help you get rid of the plantar wart. Sometimes, the warts can simply be scraped down with a pumice stone or other device. However, many times it does need more definitive treatment, such as freezing with liquid nitrogen or use one one of several prescription medications that are applied topically. I would start by asking your primary care doctor what they think you should do to help treat the plantar warts and see how that goes! Good luck with this issue!

• Dr. Halina Stec
    Dr. Halina Stec MD
    115 Nassau Ave
    Brooklyn, NY 11222
  • Dr. Shamim Shakibai
    Dr. Shamim Shakibai MD
    6801 Park Terrace Dr
    Los Angeles, CA 90045
  • Dr. Julie Norley
    Dr. Julie Norley DO
    7534 E 2nd Street
    Scottsdale, AZ 85251