Is there a cure for diabetes?

My mom was diagnosed with diabetes and I am so worried about her because she still doesn't take care of herself right. What can I do to help her? Is there a cure for diabetes?
If your mother was just diagnosed with diabetes, then she most likely has type 2 diabetes which is usually diagnosed in adulthood. Type 2 diabetes has many contributing causes including genetics, weight, diet, exercise, and many others. Unfortunately, there is no cure for diabetes. However, there are ways to treat diabetes and there are ways to prevent the complications of diabetes. The key to living with diabetes is to keep blood sugar levels under control. This is done through a combination of diet, increased exercise, and most often medications that help lower blood sugars. Often weight loss helps as well in people that start off overweight. It sounds like your mother may have some life style changes that she could try. The first place for you mother to start her life of keeping control of her diabetes is to make sure that she has regular visits with her primary care physician. He or she will be able to review all the important ways to keep control of her diabetes. In addition, she can get her first prescriptions for medications that help control blood sugars. Finally, you mother would likely benefit from meeting with either an endocrinologist or a nutritionist to review what dietary changes she needs to try.

9415 E Harry St

• Dr. Curtis Scott Horn
    Dr. Curtis Scott Horn MD
    303 W Sunset Rd
    San Antonio, TX 78209
  • Dr. Martin Glynn
    Dr. Martin Glynn MD
    1525 South Church Street
    Murfreesboro, TN 37130
  • Dr. Ashok Sinha
    Dr. Ashok Sinha DO
    1569 Buford Dr
    Lawrenceville, GA 30043