Is my vision loss related to feeling light headed?

The other day I was at the store and started to feel really light headed. I went and sat down but then my vision went really blurry for a minute and then went back to normal. Is the light headed thing related to losing my vision? I'm fine now but really worry as to what caused it.
Your blurry vision and your feeling of lightheadedness are directly related. The episode you had is what we call pre-syncope, also known as almost passing out. This occurs when blood falls from your brain through gravity down to lower parts of your body. This causes the sensation of lightheadedness and also affects your vision. Your body has mechanisms that help prevent this from happening, but certain conditions can cause these mechanisms to temporarily fail. In your case, if you were dehydrated, then this could have been a cause of your pre-syncope. Another type of pre-syncope is called a vaso-vagal episode which is triggered by a reaction to a hot room, a sudden frightening event, or the sight of something that would otherwise make you "queasy" (such as blood or needles). This is the most common type and therefore likely what you experienced. Heart valve disease is another possibility. If your doctor ever mentioned you have a heart murmur, then you should get checked out soon. You can start by scheduling an appointment to see your primary care physician. Be prepared to describe your event to the doctor in detail. Your doctor will perform a cardiac exam and take your blood pressure standing and sitting. From there, your doctor may get an EKG or echocardiogram to rule out any heart disease. Good luck.

• Dr. Howard Shapiro
    Dr. Howard Shapiro DO
    14 E 60th St
    New York, NY 10022
  • Dr. Norman Smith
    Dr. Norman Smith MD, FACP
    2905 Mitchellville Rd
    Bowie, MD 20716
  • Dr. Mark Siegel
    Dr. Mark Siegel DO
    1530 W. Glendale Ave
    Phoenix, AZ 85021