ZocdocAnswersAnything I can do about a hammer toe?

Question

Anything I can do about a hammer toe?

My pinky toe has been sort of bent around the other ones since I can remember. They call it hammer toe I guess. Now I'm getting older and it is becoming an issue for me. Is there any way to repair it or am I stuck like this forever?

Answer

Sorry to hear this is a problem for you. Most of the time, hammer toe is a problem that develops chronically over time due to wearing shoes that are too tight or that poorly fit. Often, simpler cases of hammer toe can be corrected or at least relieved by changing the types of shoes that your wear. However, in your case, since the problem has been going on for quite a while, I would recommend seeking medical help. You should see your primary care doctor first, as sometimes hammer toe is a symptom of a previously undiagnosed problem with the nerves and muscles in the legs. Your doctor can examine your legs closely to make sure there is no evidence of this, such as weakness of the muscles of the feet. Afterwards, you will likely also want to see a podiatrist or an orthopedic doctor specializing in feet. They can help you decide what type of shoes to wear to prevent discomfort. They may also suggest surgery, which is one definitive way to permanently correct the hammer toe. Start by making an appointment with your doctors at your earliest possible convenience. I am certain that they will be able to help you!