ZocdocAnswersCould my interstitial cystitis be causing my feet to swell?

Question

Could my interstitial cystitis be causing my feet to swell?

Been dealing with interstitial cystitis for a little while now but have a new symptom. My feet are swollen. I don't understand it and the swelling is becoming painful. Could it have to do with fluid retention?

Answer

Interstitial cystitis, as you no doubt know by now, is a condition in which the bladder is chronically inflamed. The symptoms are much like the symptoms of a urinary tract infection, with cramping or burning with urination, but there is typically no actual signs of an infection. Importantly, with interstitial cystitis, there should not be any symptoms outside of the bladder; therefore, it is unlikely that the swelling in your feet is related to your interstitial cystitis. I suggest that you make an appointment with your primary care doctor to discuss this issue of the swelling in your legs. They will need to evaluate you for other potential causes of the fluid retention. Some of the more common causes of fluid retention include decreased physical activity, increased salt in the diet, and varicose veins. Sometimes, the fluid retention can be a sign of a more serious medical problem, such as a problem with your heart, and this is something your doctor will want to rule out with the physical examination. Finally, sometimes swelling in the ankles can be a medication side effect; I would closely review your list of medications with your doctor, especially any new medications that you may have started to treat your interstitial cystitis symptoms.