ZocdocAnswersWhy do I have a burning sensation in my groin?

Question

Why do I have a burning sensation in my groin?

My groin is burning for around a week but it doesn't feel like the skin, it feels like it is inside the muscle. Only thing I can think of is I helped my friend move and there was a lot of lifting we did. Could I have hurt my groin muscles and made them burn like this?

Answer

The fact that you have a burning sensation in your groin that is temporally associated with heavy lifting while you were helping your friend move furniture is highly suggestive of a pulled groin muscle. Pulled groin muscles are one of the more common injuries. They are typically associated with competitive sports, but they can also occur from any form of vigorous physical activity. I would suggest that you visit with your primary care doctor about this issue. They can confirm the diagnosis of a pulled groin muscle (as well as rule out other causes). Most of the time, a pulled groin muscle will respond to rest and will get better over a period of days to a few weeks. It is important not to restrain the muscle, as this will delay healing; your doctor can give you advice on when you can resume more vigorous physical activity. Also a standard anti inflammatory medication, such as ibuprofen, could potentially reduce pain and inflammation. Your doctor can help you decide which medication to take, and at what dose. They can also follow along to make sure that your symptoms are improving and that you are getting back to your usual state of health.