How do you remove a splinter from your foot?

Got a bad splinter from a hardwood floor that wasn't finished and now I can't get it out. It is deep under the skin and I don't want it to get infected but it hurts a lot. How should I take it out?Does a doctor need to do it?
These types of splinters are common, always very annoying. You should never just leave the splinter in because it can always create an infection that is tough for your immune system to get rid of. The infection can progress to an abscess that would need drained. In some cases, the splinter will work its way out after your skin grows out. However, you should not wait for this to happen. You should schedule an appointment with your primary care physician for this problem. He or she has small tweezers that can help get the splinter out. If the splinter is deep, then your doctor may need to numb up the skin with some lidocaine in order to dig out the splinter. If this is necessary, you may need a bandage and some dressings to take home with you. In addition, if it has been more than 5 years since your last tetanus shot, you may need to have that done. I hope you feel better. Good luck.