ZocdocAnswersWhy are my energy levels down so much?

Question

Why are my energy levels down so much?

I don't know what is going on. I haven't changed my diet, my exercise routine or my sleep patterns, but I just feel tired and weak for the last two weeks. I've had to drink a lot of coffee and energy drinks just to stay alert at work. What is going on with me? Am I depressed?

Answer

I highly recommend that you go to see your primary care doctor about this issue. Any significant and sustained change in energy levels or mood should be evaluated by a doctor to help you figure out what is going on and whether or not treatment is indicated. Although it is possible that the symptoms are just related to fatigue or stress in your work or personal life, it is important to rule out the medical causes. Depression is definitely high on the list, although since the symptoms have only been going on for two weeks it would still be too early to formally diagnose depression unless you have already a personal history of previously diagnosed depression. Other medical causes of fatigue include trouble with the thyroid gland and anemia. These are conditions that your doctor can look for with simple blood tests. Also, sometimes the fatigue and feeling run down can be from a common viral illness, such as a lingering cold or the flu. Finally, your doctor will want to evaluate the quality of your sleep, because insomnia and other forms of sleep disturbance could easily cause your symptoms. Make an appointment with your doctor at your earliest convenience!