ZocdocAnswersCan you still get pregnant if you have had endometriosis?

Question

Can you still get pregnant if you have had endometriosis?

I had endometriosis or have it. Any way I could still get pregnant? I know that it can cause infertility. thanks.

Answer

Endometriosis can be a very frustrating condition to deal with. As you know, endometriosis can cause a lot of pelvic pain, sometimes abnormal bleeding, and infertility. In fact, it is one of the most common causes of infertility. Endometriosis causes infertility by producing scars in the fallopian tubes. Scaring in the fallopian tubes makes it difficult for sperm to travel up, or for the egg to travel down to the uterus. Of course the two must meet for pregnancy to occur. The scaring can range from mild or none, to severe. There is no way to predict if you have some of this scaring. Many women that have endometriosis fall somewhere in between. This reduces the likelihood that any given month you will get pregnant, but your chances don't fall to zero. If you want to get pregnant, the first step is to try on your own. Have intercourse with your partner every other day starting 7 days after your period starts for 1-2 weeks and repeat this every cycle. If you aren't pregnant in a year, then you need referral to a fertilization specialist. Women with endometriosis that cannot get pregnant on their own can usually get pregnant with in-vitro fertilization. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OBGYN. The two of you can discuss your attempts to get pregnant, and the workup you need to undergo to figure out your chances of getting pregnant without in-vitro fertilization.