ZocdocAnswersIs stress giving me chest pains?

Question

Is stress giving me chest pains?

Sometimes I get sudden pain in my chest. I am tightly wound and get stressed out about a lot of different things so I don't know what it is. Can stress cause chest pain? How can I lower my stress levels?

Answer

Chest pain can be caused by many different things, many of which are not serious but some of which are. Therefore, any recurrent chest pain needs to be evaluated by a doctor to make sure it is not serious. I suggest that you see your primary care doctor for help with this. Stress and fatigue can cause a number of physical symptoms. In some people this include occasional twinges of chest pain (potentially related to heart burn). However, I wouldn't assume that the chest pains are from stress until other things have been ruled out. When you go to see your doctor, at the top of their list will be making sure your chest pains are not from a heart condition, which is the most serious possibility. Make sure to mention to them if the chest pains are associated with exercise and whether or not there are any other symptoms like sweating, nausea, shortness of breath, dizziness or fainting, or palpitations. Also mention any family history of heart conditions. These data will help your doctor determine if you need further testing, which might include basic blood work and an electrocardiogram or stress test, depending on how concerned they are.