ZocdocAnswersCould the position that I sleep in be making my hip hurt?

Question

Could the position that I sleep in be making my hip hurt?

Only 18 years old but I already have hip pain. It just feels like it is going to lock up whenever I move it. The only thing I can think is that I sleep on that side every night but I don't know how to avoid it. Could the way I sleep cause my hip to hurt?

Answer

I am sorry to hear about this pain in your hip! It sounds like you really need to see your doctor about it; any pain in a joint that continues unabated like this should be checked out to make sure there is nothing serious going on! I think it is unlikely that the way you are sleeping is causing your hip pain. Poor sleeping posture can cause stiffness or soreness, but this is usually more muscular and less in the joints. Also, sleeping posture shouldn't make the joint feel like it is going to 'lock up'. On the other hand, there are several things that could be going on in your hip direct. One of these is that you could have synovitis, which is an inflammation of the membrane lining the hip joint cavity. Synovitis can develop suddenly for generally unexplained reasons (some cases may be associated with common viral infections), and it can cause quite significant pain in the hip with motion. Another condition that is a possibility is bursitis, which is an inflammation of the fluid filled sacs that pad the joint. Your primary care doctor will probably check some basic blood work looking for signs of infection or inflammation. If these are negative, then you are probably dealing with synovitis or bursitis, which are annoying but not serious and can be treated with anti inflammatory medications which your doctor will prescribe.