ZocdocAnswersCould fluid be lodged in my ear canal?

Question

Could fluid be lodged in my ear canal?

I had the flu about a month ago. Then I think some fluid got lodged in my ear canal because it still has pressure and now my face and my nose hurt too. Could the fluid be stuck and be causing all of these problems? How do I get it out?

Answer

It sounds like you have more than one problem. Your symptoms of fluid getting stuck in your ear are likely from fluid behind your ear drum as apposed to in side your ear canal. Fluid in side your ear canal can usually find its way out unless you have a a lot of wax in your ears. Fluid in your middle ear (behind the ear drum) is usually caused by swelling in the upper air ways caused by an upper respiratory tract infection. The fact that your face and nose hurt too suggest that you also have a sinus infection or you are developing a sinus infection. These problems often come together so it is not surprising that you report both of them. It is possible that this is related to the flu, but most likely you have developed a new infection with a virus that causes the common cold. If this has progressed into a sinus or ear infection, then you may need antibiotics. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she will examine your ears, or nose and throat and figure out what is the next best treatment for you. At the very least you can get medicines that will help you feel better. Good luck.