ZocdocAnswersWhy do my eyes itch so much?

Question

Why do my eyes itch so much?

I moved into a new apartment and now my eyes will not stop itching! Could it be from the person before me having pets? Never had trouble with pets but my eyes itch so much I don't know what to do. What can I do to make this stop?

Answer

Itchy eyes can have several different causes, but allergies is definitely at the top. Many people have allergies to cats, dogs, different plants, dust mites, foods and many other things in our environment. One common allergic reaction is allergic conjunctivitis. This is where the outer clear lining of the eye (called the conjunctiva) gets irritated. It often becomes red and the eye can seem painful and itchy. When the problem resides in both eyes, this increases the likelihood that this is an allergic problem. This is because other causes of conjunctivitis such as viral conjunctivitis and bacterial conjunctivitis often cause problems in one eye more than the other. Plus these infections are more likely to cause more pain in the eye than the allergic version of this. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can examine your eyes closely and determine what is causing your itchy eyes. If it is an allergic conjunctivitis, then you can get a prescription for a medication that will calm down the allergic response. In addition, the two of you can discuss what the most likely agent is that is causing your symptoms. You may need to get the carpets cleaned in your apartment or buy an air filter. Good luck.