What can I do about my out of control cough?

I have been coughing almost out of control for 4 days and I don't know what to do anymore. Today I coughed so much that some stomach acid came out. It was almost like vomiting.
It sounds like your coughing is truly causing a major disruption to your life! There are many things that can cause uncontrolled coughing, ranging from viruses affecting the upper airway to problems in the lungs that are triggering an irritation of the lining of the throat or even the diaphragm. Getting to the bottom of what is causing your cough will require seeing your primary care physician right away. He or she will clearly want to examine you, including close inspection of your lungs and throat, but it will also be helpful to discuss your overall health, including any other symptoms you may (or may not) have noticed in the last several days, along with this cough. Symptoms like fever, productive cough, coughing up blood, watery eyes and nose, weight loss, exposure to other people with illness recently can all help suggest what might be causing your symptoms. In the meantime, there are over the counter cough suppressive agents that you can find at any local drugstore, but your physician will also be able to write for prescription medications that will hopefully help control your symptoms better. You should definitely make an appointment right away since it sounds like the cough is truly making your miserable and should be addressed!

• Dr. Ramin Samadi
    Dr. Ramin Samadi MD
    5900 Overton Ridge Blvd
    Fort Worth, TX 76132
  • Dr. Gladys Martinez
    Dr. Gladys Martinez DO
    1001 NW 13th Street
    Boca Raton, FL 33486
  • Dr. Harvey Lerner
    Dr. Harvey Lerner MD
    215 East Main Street
    Smithtown, NY 11787