Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"What should I put on the burn I have on my hand?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat should I put on the burn I have on my hand?


Burned myself pretty bad when I was trying to light a candle the other day. The tip of my finger looks kind of bad and hurts. I don't know what to put on it though. What is the best thing to put on a burn while it is healing?


The answer to your question depends on how bad your burn is. First degree burns are those that only involve the most superficial layer of skin. They are painful and usually cause red irritated skin. A second degree burn causes damage to the next layer of skin which results in blisters. Finally, a third degree burn involves tissues below the skin and can even burn away nerve endings making the burn numb. First and second degree burns are basically treated the same way. The key is to prevent any infection from getting into the burn. therefore, keeping the wound clean, and the use of the appropriate antibiotic ointments and creams is the most important form of treatment. A third degree burn sometimes requires surgical debridement. No matter what degree your burn is, you should have it evaluated by a doctor. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can look at the burn and determine what degree it is. From there you can get a prescription for the appropriate antibiotic ointment for you as well as possibly some bandage supplies you will need over the next week or so to keep the burn clean and dry. Good luck.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.