Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Are there any other ways to help treat my heel spur?"

ZocdocAnswersAre there any other ways to help treat my heel spur?


A doctor told me I had a heel spur and gave me a shot then some prescribed anti inflammatory stuff. I'm all out of the medicine and I still have pain. What can I do to help manage the pain and help the heel spur heal?


Sorry to hear that you are still having pain! I would suggest that you go back to your doctor to figure out what to do next. Heels spurs are small bony projections that grow off of the heel bone, usually as a result either of wear and tear arthritis is the bones of the feet or from tightness and inflammation in the ligaments and connective tissue on the bottom of the foot. They can be quite painful, especially when standing on your feet. The first line treatment for heel spurs is exactly what your doctor already prescribed for you, which is some anti inflammatory medications. If these do not work alone, however, there are other conservative measures that can be added, including wearing healing inserts or arch supports as well as specific stretching exercises which your doctor can teach you. Also, steroid injections into the area where the pain is can be very helpful at reducing symptoms. In the most persistent cases, it might be necessary to get a referral to see an orthopedic doctor for consideration of a surgical procedure, but it doesn't sound like you have tried all the other, non surgical options first, so talk to your primary care doctor about those!

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.