ZocdocAnswersDoes prostatitis ever go away?

Question

Does prostatitis ever go away?

My urologist said that the problems I'm having with urinating and pain while urinating are caused by prostatitis. He gave me some meds but will this ever go away? Will I be dealing with this for a long time?

Answer

Prostatitis, as your urologist no doubt told you, is caused by inflammation or infection in the prostate gland, and it leads to the types of symptoms that you are experiencing. There are actually two different types of prostatitis, and the answer to your question depends on which type you have. The most common type of prostatitis is infectious prostatitis, caused by a bacterial infection in the prostate gland. Infectious prostatitis is treated with antibiotics; because infections clear very slowly out of the prostate gland, it is usually necessary to treat for a long time with the antibiotics, usually around 4-6 weeks in total. However, most people start to feel better within a week or so of starting the antibiotics and, if they can tolerate the antibiotics every day for the full 4 to 6 week course, then complete resolution of the problem is likely. There is also a noninfectious form of prostatitis, which caused chronic, persistent pain and urinary discomfort. Unfortunately, noninfectious prostatitis doesn't have a definitive cure, and treatment is aimed at controlled the symptoms. Although there are medications that can help, the condition is unlikely to go away entirely. Talk to your urologist for more information about what exactly is going on in your case.