Could I still have gall stones if I'm a healthy young male?

I'm a 27 year old male in perfect health. Well almost perfect, I was having nothing but trouble with my stomach a while back and finally went to the doctor. He said it could be gall stones but I'm not a typical sufferer. Is it possible for me to have gall stones if I am a healthy young male?
Anyone can have gallstones. They are formed in the gallbladder and can be caused by multiple factors. The typical patient is an overweight female over 40 years old. You certainly do not fit this demographic, however the easiest way to find out if you have stones is to get an abdominal ultrasound. This is a relatively cheap, non-invasive, quick procedure which can tell you if you have gallstones, and whether your gallbladder appears to be inflamed. You must keep in mind that just because you have gallstones, it doesn't mean that they are the cause of your "trouble" (you didn't specify if you had pain, nausea, discomfort, or other symptoms). My recommendation is to get a work up by a GI doctor. A good history and physical are a must to start. Labwork and ultrasound imaging can help narrow down your problem. Your history and physical will help guide your gastroenterologist to pursue further studies to work up your symptoms. You may have reflux, ulcers, gastritis, or other issues that may involve your esophagus, stomach, gallbladder/biliary system, colon, etc. I would recommend to have a good workup before attributing your symptoms to gallstones. Like you said, you don't really fit the picture, so likely, there's another cause. Your GI doctor will help you diagnose and treat it.

Other Gastroenterologists

• Dr. Victor Yang
    Dr. Victor Yang MD
    Gastroenterologist
    7737 Southwest Freeway
    Houston, TX 77074
  • Dr. David Feldman
    Dr. David Feldman MD
    Gastroenterologist
    20 5th Avenue
    New York, NY 10011
  • Dr. Eddie Flores
    Dr. Eddie Flores MD
    Gastroenterologist
    2833 Babcock Rd.
    San Antonio, TX 78229