ZocdocAnswersWhat do changes in mood indicate?

Question

What do changes in mood indicate?

Not exactly sure what is going on with me but I know that my mood is changing. I just keep getting angry for no reason and it is not like me at all. I'm a 22 year old female and can't figure it out. What does a change in someone's mood indicate? Could it be a disease?

Answer

I'm sorry to hear that you are having some changes with your mood and not feeling yourself. There are many different things that could be causing your symptoms, and the best way to sort things out is to start with your primary care physician and then go from there. After talking with you in more detail and doing a basic physical exam and possibly some labs, your doctor might decide that it is a good idea for you to see a mental health specialist. Overall, our moods are affected by many different things. If you have had a lot of upheaval in your life recently or have other stressors, you may be having a difficult time dealing with change. It is also possible that changes in mood might accompany some other subtle symptoms that you haven't even noted yet (changes in hair or skin or vision or mental processing) that might suggest to your doctor that you have a hormone imbalance or evidence of some sort of neurological condition. It is impossible to know without a more detailed exam/history, but disease as disparate as thyroid imbalance or multiple sclerosis can cause mood changes. Finally, it is also possible that these mood changes are a sign of an underlying psychiatric illness. If your primary care physician thinks this is a possibility after talking with you, he or she can refer you to a mental health specialist for further evaluation. No matter what the final diagnosis, the important thing is to help you understand what is going on and how to best treat it so that you can feel yourself again.