Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Why am I bleeding the day after intercourse, and kind of itchy? "

ZocdocAnswersWhy am I bleeding the day after intercourse, and kind of itchy?


Saturday night until Sunday morning and night I had intercourse with my partner. He tried something new which was trimming his pubic hairs this made me feel raw so now im not sure why my vagina itches inside the first pair of lips also on Sunday morning I felt my cervix swollen I especially felt this when he'd go in me dry so Sunday night We proceeded to try again but it hurt when he went go because my vagina wasn't lubricating itself like it normally sex was. somewhat painful . Come Monday when I used the restroom I noticed the blood it's not much kind of what it looks like when I first start my menstrual cycle go wondering if this is normal or if something might be seriously wrong please give me some expert advice or facts I would really appreciate the help..thank you


Bleeding after sex can be from one of several different sources. First, bleeding anytime after or not associated with sex could be coming from your uterus. If you had sex near when you were expecting to get your period, this could be just an early sign that you are about to start your cycle. Likewise you if you take birth control pills, this could be breath through bleeding that sometimes occurs. The other possible source of your bleeding is your vaginal wall. Bleeding from the vaginal wall can occur when you have sex with inadequate lubrication. It sounds like this is a possibility in you. This is usually associated with some significant pain during and after sex. The final possible source of your bleeding is from your cervix. The cervix contains blood vessels that can break occasionally during sex. Since you said that your cervix feels a bit swollen, this is could be the source of your bleeding. The best thing for you to do is to schedule an appointment with your primary care doctor or OBGYN, whoever you feel more comfortable seeing about this issue. Your doctor will want to perform a pelvic exam to look for any ongoing bleeding that you may have. Good luck.

Need more info?

See an obgyn today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.