Why does my urine smell like ammonia?

It only started smelling like this when I started my period three days ago ..
When urine begins to smell like ammonia, it usually means one of two things. First, it could be that you are a bit dehydrated and therefore your urine is more concentrated. All urine has ammonia which is a normal product of the metabolism of protein. Thus, all your urine should smell a little bit like ammonia, and this smell is enhanced by the urine being more concentrated. Sometimes urine smells stronger when there has been a change in your diet. Some people that go on the so-called high protein diet in attempts to lose weight will have a change in the way their urine smells (more ammonia-like). Another possibility is that your urine is infected with a bacteria. Some bacteria can feed on different compounds in the urine making it smell quite bad. I don't think that the smell of you urine has anything to do with you recently starting your menstrual cycle. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. The usual protocol when someone comes into my office and complains of anything to do with their urine is to perform a simple urinalysis. This is a quick test that will let your doctor know if you have a urinary tract infection, and may reveal why your urine smells different.

3161 N Rock Rd