ZocdocAnswersCan I pass am STD (trich) by having bad foot fungus?

Question

Can I pass am STD (trich) by having bad foot fungus?

if i touched my feet(taking off socks)etc, before sex can I pass Trich? I have been tested and I dont have but my girlfriend just had a abnormal pap.

Answer

Trichomonas is a parasite that can be passed from one person to another by different sexual acts. The parasite does not live on your feet as a fungus would and thus touching your feet or using your feet during sex is not a risk for passing Trichomonas on from one person to another. The symptoms of Trichomonas in women is usually a change in vaginal discharge and burning with urination. It can also cause pain with sex. There are usually no symptoms of trichomonas in men. I don't think that your girlfriend having an abnormal pap is related in any way to trichomonas. A pap smear is done to look for abnormal cervical cells that could one day turn into cancer. The purpose of it is to catch cervical cancer before it spreads. An abnormal pap smear means that some of these abnormal cells were seen and further follow up is needed. The test for trichomonas involves swabbing the cervix, but the test is different than the pap smear. If you are worried about trichomonas, then I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care doctor for workup and possible treatment if anything is wrong. Good luck.