ZocdocAnswersHow does this relate to type one diabetes?

Question

How does this relate to type one diabetes?

Microvascular ischemic changes showed up on my MRI. Could this be due to my diabetes and high BG levels?

Answer

Microvascular changes (changes in the small blood vessels of the brain) that can be seen on an MRI are caused by decreased blood flow to that area of the body. Microvascular changes can also cause small tiny strokes that can over time cause problems in the brain. The high blood sugar levels in diabetes can cause damage to your blood vessels over time. The most common place for these to occur is in the feet and in the hands. This is why diabetics are prone to developing ulcers that have trouble healing. Diabetes can also cause vascular disease in other parts of the body including the heart, kidneys and brain. This may be what your MRI showed. While microvascular changes cannot be completely reversed, there are things you can do to prevent them from getting worse, or at least slow the progression down. The first thing you need to do is to make sure that your blood sugars are under the best control possible. The other important factors for your health is control of your blood pressure and cholesterol levels. These are all things that your primary care physician should be attending to so you can have the best chance at preventing these complications in the future. Please see your doctor soon.