Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What is omental infarction?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat is omental infarction?


My husband's CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis showed "nodular opacification and infiltration of fat in the anterior abdomen below the transverse colon, most confluent in the right lower abdomen." The Impression is: "Given the patient's mid abdominal pain, omental infarction is most likely the cause of opacification and infiltration of fat in the anterior abdomen; other considerations include epiploic appendagitis." It also states, "Although less likely, the nodular appearance raises concern for neoplasm; a follow-up study should be obtained at 3 to 6 months." My husband will be undergoing endoscopy and colonoscopy, but how is it determined what this infiltration of fat is, the consequences of it, if any, and what should be done?


I would recommend that you discuss this with your doctor. A gastroenterologist or stomach specialist may also be helpful in diagnosing your condition. As this is a relatively complex and rare condition, discussing at length the condition with someone who is more familiar with the actual details is essential. The omentum is the fat that surrounds the intestines in the stomach. It is external to the intestines. It blends together and forms a pad. In obese patients, this become full of fat. As with any tissue, it survives by getting blood through blood vessels. An infarction is a terms that describes tissue death caused by decreased blood supply. An omental infarction refers to decreased blood supply to the omentum that subsequently causes death of the tissue. This is a relatively rare condition, and when it occurs it is mostly in children. It is quite difficult to determine exactly if this is the case, as often inflammation can look similar (as if the appendix nearby is inflamed). The most definitive way to determine what is occurring is to biopsy the lesion -- that is to do surgery and actually see what the area looks like. This however is invasive and therefore not ideal. Talk to your doctor. This is a rare condition that requires some careful attention. Good luck!

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.