Why did I feel like I was going to pass out after eating?

Yesterday after I ate dinner I all of the sudden felt like I was going to pass out or faint. It passed after around 20 minutes but I don't know what happened. Is it possible I have some kind of a stomach issue even if my stomach did not hurt and I just felt like I was going to pass out?
I think that your problem could have been caused by a few different possible problems. First, it is possible that you were a bit dehydrated at the time. If you were a bit dehydrated, the act of eating (which causes a lot of blood vessels in the body to dilate) could have lowered your blood pressure slightly and cause you to feel lightheaded. Another possible cause of your problem is something we call postprandial hypoglycemia. This is a condition where your blood sugar suddenly drops after eat instead of increase like it is supposed to causing you to feel faint. This can occur in a couple of different situations. First, if you have diabetes and take insulin before meals, these symptoms could be a sign of something called diabetic gastroparesis. This is when your stomach does not allow the food to get into your small intestine so the sugar that you eat doesn't get absorbed. This causes your blood sugars to drop. Another syndrome called dumping syndrome can occur for a variety or reasons including a history of gastrointestinal surgeries. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician to discuss these issues. If your doctor thinks that gastroparesis or dumping syndrome, then you may warrant referral to see a gastroenterologist.

• Dr. Howard Shapiro
    Dr. Howard Shapiro DO
    14 E 60th St
    New York, NY 10022
  • Dr. Norman Smith
    Dr. Norman Smith MD, FACP
    2905 Mitchellville Rd
    Bowie, MD 20716
  • Dr. Mark Siegel
    Dr. Mark Siegel DO
    1530 W. Glendale Ave
    Phoenix, AZ 85021