ZocdocAnswersWhat does it mean if my skin is burning when it gets wet?

Question

What does it mean if my skin is burning when it gets wet?

The skin on my penis is burning when I get it wet. Did I get and STD? It doesn't hurt any other time but now I think I have some kind of an infection.

Answer

The burning sensation you have on your penis could be from a few different types of problems. There are a variety of different skin conditions that can effect the skin of the penis and cause a burning sensation. However, most of them also cause a rash which you don't seem to be reporting. There is only one STD that this type of symptom could represent and that is genital herpes. Genital herpes is caused by the herpes simplex virus. This virus infects the nerves in the area of genitals. The infected nerves are more likely to send abnormal signals that can be interpreted as pain or burning. Herpes flairs usually start of with general feelings of feeling sick, and a burning sensation begins around the genital area. small sores or ulcers also develop, though this is not always the case. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she will take a detailed history of your symptoms and perform a physical exam of your genital area. If no sores or ulcers are present, and there are no abnormalities of your skin, then you doctor may decide to either do nothing, or being a trial of treatment for herpes to see if you respond. Good luck.