ZocdocAnswersAre there any foods that prevent diabetes?

Question

Are there any foods that prevent diabetes?

I am overweight and my mother is terrified that I am going to get diabetes. I told her that I would start eating better and exercise and I am really going to try. Are there any foods I can eat that will help prevent diabetes or do I just have to stay away from junk food?

Answer

To help prevent diabetes, there are a few key life style changes that you can make. the first one you already mentioned is to cut out junk food. When I say junk food, what I mean is any type of candy, any type of baked pastry like a cup cake, a muffin, or a doughnut, and anything that is made with white bread, white rice, or white pasta. I know this really cuts out a lot of different foods. The truth is that there are a lot of foods that we normally eat that are not really all that good for us. The second thing you can do is to increase the amount of calories you get from fruits and vegetable. In general, we say that you should get at least half of all of your calories from fruits and vegetables. This is a lot from that food group. Finally, you should start exercising between 30 and 45 minutes per day. Exercise is the body's natural treatment for diabetes and can really help prevent or at least delay diabetes development. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. Primary care doctors are very skilled at treating diabetes and helping to prevent it. Your doctor can start by referring you to a nutrition to help with dietary changes and weight loss.