ZocdocAnswersIs frequent urination common after passing kidney stones?

Question

Is frequent urination common after passing kidney stones?

I am a 52 year old male and recently passed a couple of kidney stones. Since then though, I have had to go to the bathroom constantly. Almost on the hour. Is this a normal thing after you pass stones or did they cause a new problem when I passed them?

Answer

In the few hours to a day after passing a kidney stone, it is normal for you to have to urinate very frequently. This is because sometimes kidney stones can cause a mild hydronephrosis. This is essentially a back flow of urine into the kidney because of the obstructing stone. When the obstruction is removed, all that urine comes out. If there has been some temporary damage to the kidney, this may cause you to urinate even more. However, no matter what the cause, it should not last that long. If it has been more than a week and you are still urinating a lot, then you will need to explore other possibilities. Increased urinary frequency can occur with a urinary tract infection. A urinary tract infection can also occur in the setting of a kidney stone. I do think that you should schedule an appointment with a doctor. You can start with your primary care physician. Your doctor will probably start with a simple urinalysis to make sure that you don't have a urinary tract infection. Your doctor may need to look at your urine under a microscope to see if there is any evidence of kidney damage. Hopefully, you will get to the bottom of it soon.