What is causing all of this pain in my scapula?

Whenever I get up after sitting or if I have been laying down too I get terrible pain in my left scapula. Why is this happening? Could it be because my muscles get stiff when they are not moving or is there an injury involved that I don't know about?
I strongly suspect that this pain is not coming from the scapula bone itself but that, rather, it more likely represents a strain or a spasm within the muscles surrounding the scapula, mostly likely on the inside edge between the scapula and the spine. This is a common place for muscle strain to develop. Most of the time it is related to an "over use" injury, such as sitting hunched at a computer screen all day. It may also be worse at night, especially if you are using a very soft mattress or otherwise sleeping in a position that puts strain on your back and shoulder muscles. Your primary care doctor will be able to examine the area and help determine what is going on. Most of the time the treatments they will suggest are simple, such as massage, stretching exercises, heating pads, and standard anti inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen or naproxen. After the initial consultation, they will be able to follow along with you to make sure that the pain is getting better and the condition is going away. In more persistent cases, sometimes stronger medications, such as anti spasm medications, are needed, and physical therapy can also be of some use.