ZocdocAnswersDo adults get Osgood-Schlatters?

Question

Do adults get Osgood-Schlatters?

There is a lump under my knee at the top of my shin that looks like Osgood-Schlatters. The only thing is that I am 30 years old and I thought that Osgood-Schlatters only happened to young people. Is it possible that I had it and only notice it now because I am more physically active?

Answer

Osgood Schlatter's disease is a condition where inflammation and partial separation develops at the junction between the patellar tendon and the tibial bone. You are correct in that Osgood Schlatter's disease typically causes a lump under the knee. This lump represents an area of inflammation and bone development where the stress exists between the tendon and the bone. The bump can be very painful and often results in knee pain that is worse with activity, and even worse after resting from activity. You are also correct in saying that this disease typically and almost exclusively affects people that are going through their adolescent growth spurt. This would not describe you as you are well beyond that stage of development. Because of that, I would venture to guess that you bump is not Osgood Schlatter's disease. Other possibilities include a small cyst or or perhaps an abnormal growth of bone or soft tissue. Any new growth such as this one should never be ignored. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician to work this out. A simple physical exam with x-rays of your knee and shin should be enough to figure out what this is.