ZocdocAnswersDo I have DVT?

Question

Do I have DVT?

If my left leg hurts a lot but there is nothing I can see that would make it hurt could I have deep vein thrombosis? I heard about DVT in a book and thought maybe that is what I have. I am an 18 year old male by the way.

Answer

A deep vein thrombosis (DVT) is a blood clot that forms in one of the deep veins. Many DVTs develop in the leg. When they develop, they prevent blood from moving from the leg back to the heart. This causes a traffic jam of sorts with the blood flow of the leg causing the leg to swell. This swelling in turn causes pain. The big concern with people that have DVTs is that the clot could move from the deep vein to the lungs where it can threaten your life as a pulmonary embolism. If your leg just hurts, and is not swollen at all, then a DVT is less likely, but not impossible. Your chances of having a DVT are also dependent on your risk factors. If you have family members that have suffered from blood clots or DVTs, then perhaps you have a genetically inherited blood clotting disorder. If you recently traveled a great distance in a car or plane, then the period of immobility could of set you up for a clot. If neither of those are true, then a DVT is very unlikely. You can get this figured out by scheduling an appointment with your primary care physician. If he or she feels that a DVT is possible, then you may end up needing an ultrasound of your leg to see if you have one. Please see a doctor right away.