What kind of surgery will I have to have on my nose?

I am extremely congested all of the time so my doctor gave me some nasal spray to help clear me up. He said if it doesn't help I might require surgery. But what kind of surgery would I need? Is nose surgery really painful? How long would it take me to recover?
It sounds like you are probably dealing with nasal allergies, known in medical terms as "allergic rhinitis." Nasal allergies result in chronic congestion and swelling of the lining of the nasal passages, which causes the symptoms you are experiencing, such as stuffy nose, sneezing, and cough. Nasal steroid sprays are commonly used to treat this problem, and they work by helping to reduce the swelling, allowing the nasal passages to open up a bit. Sometimes, if the nasal inflammation has been long standing, it might result in the formation of nasal polyps, which sit inside the nasal passage and contribute to the obstruction. Often, nasal polyps will get better with a nasal steroid spray but, sometimes, they need to be removed surgically. This is generally a simple surgical procedure which is performed by an ear, nose, and throat specialist. Usually it does not require spending the night in the hospital. The other reason that you might end up needing surgery, other than polyps, is a deviated nasal septum. Often a deviated septum is caused by nose trauma (e.g., a broken nose), but sometimes you can be born with it. Please set up an appointment with an ear, nose, and throat doctor to discuss your options!