ZocdocAnswersWhat does my back tighten up when I lay down?

Question

What does my back tighten up when I lay down?

Anytime I lay down my back gets really tight and it seizes up. Why does this happen? It feels totally normal throughout the day but then just goes crazy when I lay down.

Answer

I am sorry to hear that you are having such significant back pain, and I definitely recommend that you go see your primary care doctor right away about this issue, if you have not done so already. Any persistent back pain like this needs a full medical evaluation to help figure out what is causing it. Most of the time, the types of back problems that cause pain at night are the same problems as those that cause pain during the day. These problems include pinched nerves, arthritis in the spinal column, and strain and spasm of the muscles that support the spine. For whatever reason, in some people, these symptoms will be more severe at night. However, back pain that occurs only at night can also be, very rarely, a sign of a more serious problem, such as a tumor. This is the main reason that doctors recommend that anyone with night time back pain make an appointment to have a full medical evaluation as soon as possible. After your check up, assuming that the cause of your back pain is not serious, your doctor will be able to give you recommendations on medications and exercises to help reduce your symptoms.