Are the white spots on my fingers just dry skin?

On a few of my fingers there a lot of little raised white bumps that also itch sometimes. Is this dry skin? Could it be something else? Could I have caught some kind of skin infection?
I would recommend that you go to see either your primary care doctor or your dermatologist. They should be able to take a look at these areas of skin and quickly diagnose what might be going on. One possibility would be a condition known as dyshidrotic eczema. In this condition, small blisters form under the skin, about the size of a pin head. These blisters itch, and they sometimes lead to peeling and redness of the skin. They might be the "white bumps" you are seeing. If so, dyshidrotic eczema can be treated by a combination of good skin moisturizing, protecting the hands from water and chemicals, and using a prescription strength steroid cream. If the white bumps, on the other hand, are larger and on top of rather than under the skin, then they may be warts or molluscum contagiosum, two conditions that are caused by viral infections of the skin cells. Both conditions tend to resolve on their own, but they can also be treated by freezing or topical medications if they are uncomfortable or if they are a cosmetic problem. Start by making an office appointment with your doctor at your earliest convenience, and good luck!.

• Dr. Angela Hon
    Dr. Angela Hon MD
    88-20 Rockaway Beach Blvd
    Rockaway Beach, NY 11693
  • Dr. Danilo Hoyumpa
    Dr. Danilo Hoyumpa MD
    13919 Nacogdoches Rd
    San Antonio, TX 78217
  • Dr. Brian Price
    Dr. Brian Price MD
    3607 Manor Rd
    Austin, TX 78723