ZocdocAnswersHow do you get rid of a bladder infection?

Question

How do you get rid of a bladder infection?

My sister says that what I am going through is a bladder infection. How do I make it go away? Do I need medicine?

Answer

A bladder infection, also known as a urinary tract infection is a very common problem especially in young women. Most of the time there is no particular reason that you get a urinary tract infection, though sexual intercourse can be an inciting cause. The symptoms of a urinary tract infection include burning with urination, lower abdominal pain, urinary frequency (the urge to go suddenly), and sometimes fever. Urinary tract infections will sometimes go away on their own. Some women drink cranberry juice as a means of trying to clear up the infection. This certainly does not work every time. In addition, many of them can progress to a kidney infection which can be much more dangerous than a simple urinary tract infection. Thus, I tend to treat everyone with a urinary tract infection with antibiotics. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can listen to your description of your symptoms and perform a thorough physical exam. Your doctor will also ask you for a urine sample to perform a simple urinalysis and urine culture. These test are the gold standard for diagnosing a urinary tract infection. If you do have one, then you can get a prescription for antibiotics.