ZocdocAnswersCan I still be a blood donor if I have a verruca?

Question

Can I still be a blood donor if I have a verruca?

I was thinking about donating my blood but I found out that I have a verruca. Is it still okay to donate my blood or will they turn me down because of the verruca?

Answer

A verruca is another name for a wart. Warts are very common infections of the skin, which are caused by the human papilloma virus. They can occur in many different locations on the body, such as on the soles of the feet (plantar wart), on the fingers and hands (common warts), and on the genitals (genital warts). I recommend that you make an appointment with your primary care doctor, who will be able to treat your wart. In the meantime, having a wart should not be a barrier to donating blood! When you go to donate blood, there is a form that you have to fill out, and there are a few conditions that will prevent you from donating blood (for example, traveling to a foreign country where there is a lot of malaria). However, having a wart is definitely not one of those conditions! If you have any other questions about blood donation in general, feel free to ask the staff at the blood donation center, or call your primary care doctor before you go to get your questions answered. And, thank you so much for taking the time to donate blood!