ZocdocAnswersDo I possibly have a concussion?

Question

Do I possibly have a concussion?

Can you get a minor concussion? I've just been having trouble concentrating lately and I'm sensitive to light too. There is a bit of nausea sometimes as well. I don't remember hitting my head but could I still have a concussion?

Answer

It would be very unlikely that you could have a concussion without remembering hitting your head. The definition of a concussion is minor brain trauma from a head injury. In some cases the person might not remember the accident (for example, 'blacking out' after hitting your head) but in these cases there is generally always another person around who does remember the accident (for example, team members or a coach at a football game). So, although this is probably not a concussion, there are several other medical condition that could be causing your symptoms, such as nausea, trouble concentrating, and sensitivity to light. To give just one example, migraine headaches, which tend to be characterized by pulsating pain in the head, can also be associated with both nausea and with light sensitivity. What I would recommend is that you make an appointment with your primary care doctor as soon as possible for a complete checkup. They should be able to help you figure out what is going on. In the meantime, worrisome signs that would require more immediate medical evaluation would include severe sudden headache, trouble with coordination, dizziness, persistent vomiting, neck stiffness, or fever. If you develop any of these, go to the emergency room.